Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Noctilux as a GP lens
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:07:56 +0100

Peter and Joe,
first I didn't want to offend you, Peter. My signature might have looked like, but I
am in the computer business and dealing with clients...

Second, I was someone who closed the aperture as far as possible on the
Noctilux. My experience had shown, that pictures where of ultimate sharpness
when stopped down and they were not if I used it wide open.

I used it only stopped down when I really HAD TO.

It was is my only 50 - and for a couple of years it was my only Leica
lens. Thus it had to be my general purpose lens.
I bought it at a very reasonable price and I have to confess it was a bit like
when I got my first electric railway. The Noctilux touches the boy in a man
more than other lenses!

Now my usage of wide apertures is more a matter of taste, and sometimes I
prefer to use it at 1/1000 at f1.4 rather than at 1/60 at f5.6 .
It was the LUG-family, especially Ted and Erwin, who opened my eyes to see
more in a picture than "well it is a bit soft, isn't it"