Subject: Re: FW: [Leica] pocket camera
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 19:30:17 -0600

John Doherty wrote:

> Has anyone had a recent experience deciding on a pocket camera ?
>
>  <snip> I
> don't care about auto focus and rarely use flash.

Is a Leica CL too big for you?  If it is, and if you REALLY don't care
about autofocus or flash, I'd go for the Rollei 35.  I've got one (with
3.5 Tessar) and vastly prefer it over the GR-1 and Yashica T4 (I have
both) when I don't need flash and have time to set up the manual focus.
The autofocus/flash jobs are perfect for the indoor party, where there's
almost never enough light for anything but a Noctilux and you rarely
take two shots in a row at the same distance.  But even there, I can
almost guarantee any of the autofocus things will drive you NUTS with
the time it takes between button press and shutter opening.  The
"decisive moment" is whenever the internal computer decides to set the
thing off.

This is where the Rollei will be most like your XA - when you press the
button the shutter goes off NOW.  Add to that the fact that the Rollei
doesn't depend on a battery to work its shutter, and that you have
complete control over both shutter and aperture (you can use or ignore
the coupled meter as you choose) and you have a nifty package.  You do
give up rangefinder focusing, though, they are not very light weight
(because they're almost all metal), and the older ones want mercury
batteries (I use the Wein cell equivalent, don't know if the 2.8s use
newer batteries.)  But they are small, rugged and reliable, in my
experience.

I wish I'd had a Rollei 35 when I went on a 12 day Boy Scout backpacking
trip with my kids in 1997 - the Yashica T4 I got to take along quit on
the first day of the trip (it worked fine on the two test rolls I'd put
through it before we left.)  The Olympus Stylus Zoom I had as a backup
worked reliably, but I lost several priceless shots because the
autofocus spot was between two heads and gave me a frame perfectly
focused at infinity - this happened when I gave the camera to somebody
else to take a picture of me and my kid together at some scenic point.
(The T4 was replaced on warranty after I got back from the trip, but
I've never trusted the new one.  I know this is irrational, and it does
take nice pictures, and is fairly cheap.)

Take a look at a Rollei 35.  With a 2.8 lens it may be just what you're
looking for.

Cheers,
Kip