Subject: Re: Table top processors Re: [Leica] Chalk and Charcoal in HC110
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 19:59:39 +0000

On 10 Jan 99 at 15:34, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> If an added presoak and increased dilution would help create
> additional compensation why wouldn't I already be doing that it now?
> Or why would I settle on just doing this as an answer to help offset
> the problems created by continual agitation? I'm not trying to be
> argumentative or combative, I really want to know.

With regard to the presoak, all I can say is that the step was one of
the recommendations I took away with me from the seminar. It is for
b&w, not E6. I recall reading that either Jobo or Kodak now
recommends eliminating the presoak for Xtol. I didn't and have not
encountered problems with my setup.  I was a bit sparse in my comment
on dilutions - I meant that the dilution of the developer should be
that which allows at least a 5 minute developing time at the selected
temperature. In my case, using Tri-X in Xtol, I dilute 1:1, based on
Kodak's rotary processing data, but I admit that I am pulling the dev
time by about 15-20% to keep my negs easily printable with my
equipment.

[snip]

How are
> you using the word "tempered" for the five minute presoak. My
> thoughts could be it means either adding some carbonate or borax or
> adding photo flo but I suspect you are into an area I don't know
> about. I would assume Jobo USA would have a web site so I am
> checking that out right now.

By tempered, I meant distilled water at 68 degrees F.  Jobo does
indeed have a web site (http://www.jobo.com) and its people also
monitor the newsgroup rec.photo.darkroom

Your concerns are all valid ones, and in your situation, a rotary
processor may not be an ideal solution.  I bought one because (1)it
fell into my lap at the right time at the right price and (2)I wanted
to begin processing E6 and needed some way to control temperatures.
Since its acquisition, I've used it most frequently for 35mm b&w,
folowed by b&w roll and sheet film, followed by E6 35 and 120,
followed by fiber base b&w prints (a true exercise in masochism).
What I like most are the ability to keep the temp stable for film (I
sometimes add chunks of ice to the bath in the summer) and the
convenience of not having to keep an eye on the timer for agitation.

Roy