Subject: Re: [Leica] Polar Bears - off topic but so is everything else I've seen lately
From: "Dale R. Reed" <dale-reed@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 13:10:18 -0800

>Tim Atherton,
>
>Yellowknife,
>NWT, Canada
>
>(Current temperature -39c and my girlfriend wants to go for a walk!)

I remember lots of -40degree(F=C at -40) days on the ice.  Kept my
Retina under my parka until I wanted a photograph then out it came,
off came the big thick mittens, take a photo then back on with the
mittens and back under the parka went the camera.

Minus -40 was not so bad, I even worked outside all morning
at -60degrees F but what was really too much was -40 and 40 knot
winds.  I still had to walk 1/3 mile along a flagged rope line to my
under_the_snow "laboratory" but it was not any fun.  Lots of days like
that at Byrd Station at 80degrees South and 120degrees West but not so
many in the "banana-belt" at Ellsworth Station on a floating ice shelf
southwest of Cape Town, South Africa.    Dale
- ---
$ dale-reed@worldnet.att.net  Seattle, Washington U.S.A. $