Subject: Re: [Leica] Freedom of speech and political correctness (off topic)
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 13:20:51 -0500

At 09:19 AM 1999-01-10 -0800, Bryan Caldwell wrote:

>There are many other areas which receive lesser
>First Amendment protection or no protection at all. For instance, commercial
>speech (that which proposes a commercial transaction) has been afforded a
>lesser degree of First Amendment protection by the U.S. Supreme Court than,
>say, political or religious speech. Obscenity receives a lesser protection
>as does child pornography. Then, of course, there are the matters of slander
>and libel - where First Amendment protections have wide application, but are
>not absolute.
>
>The generally accepted test for regulating speech which inspires lawless or
>dangerous activity is that the speech must (1) be directed to inciting or
>producing imminent lawless action; and (2) it is likely to incite or produce
>such action.
>
>And remember, even protected speech can often be subject to reasonable time,
>place and manner restrictions.

This simply is not true:  it states how the Constitutional guarantees are
enforced, but leaves out what the Constitution actually says.  The US
Supreme Court INTERPRETS the Constitution, but, as with any other nine
folks, they are fully capable of wandering off into error.  And so they
have done, consistently, with Free Speech cases.  It is important to
realize that, in the past forty years, there have always been at least
three, and often four, Justices who are flat, absolute, free-speech types.

I suggest those interested might wish to READ the Constitution, and then
READ twenty or so Free Speech cases handed down by the Supreme Court in
this century.  The clear language is unequivocable;  the waffling done by
the Court -- again, almost always in five/four decisions -- is a rather
frightening example of how our rights have been eroded.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!