Subject: Re: [Leica] Japs stole designs: Offensive and disparging
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:54:26 -0600 (CST)

Hi, Chandos
The question is not whether"we want to sound like drunken louts"...
that is up to the individual drunken lout.  My position is to
defend the drunks' right to degrade themselves as they see fit,
so long as there is not a "clear and present danger" of violence,
riot, etc.

Now, to keep it on topic, Leica is a journalist's tool....although they
are "bludgeoned" into other areas of endeavor (portraits, landscape,
you name it), they "scream" journalism.  That's not necessarily by
design, they were designed to be small and light, and they were
continued to make money for E. Leitz and subsequently Leica, AG.
But they're journalist tools by nature.  As a journalism school
graduate some years ago, I was beaten about the head with the
first amendment.  "Political Correctness" has reduced the guarantees
of free speech and free press to RUBBLE.   To express or print
views that are offensive is political/career suicide in the press
or in the university environment.
Yes, bigotry and ignorance and hatred is protected.  I'm not promoting
any of these things.  Let the poster state his views.  Let the
"marketplace" decide.   It will not decide for hatred.
C-U,
Walt

On