Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Cassette (long)
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:53:48 -0600 (CST)

Hi, Noel/Tom

Well, Tom's reply about cassettes was both accurate and cynical.
For people of average or better dexterity (which I assume Tom is)
they're not difficult at all....and as someone else added, some
bulk loaders have a knob so that you can OPEN/CLOSE the Leica
(and Nikon BTW) cassettes IN the bulk loader.....you still
lose the last few frames, as with ANY daylight bulk loader.
Only loading in the dark will solve the fog of the last
two or so frames on bulk-loaded cassettes.  If you're used
to shooting 'till the film stops, that might be a concern.

Depends on your priorities.  Once, I used bulk film because
I was VERY poor.  It enabled me to shoot three times as much
film.  Now, I do it because I'm cheap....I buy cheap, pre-loaded
color film on sale, and bulk load all my B&W. I used to use
Leica cassettes, but now use "universal" ones....I MUCH prefer
the Leica cassette, but those things are on the way out....
As Tom stated, new cameras don't have the lug to open them, anyway.
If you use regular reloadable cassettes, please keep them dust-free,
and clean them out with brush/air before reloading.

Of course, If you carry non-leica cameras with your Leica,
it's not very practical to use Leica cassettes, but they
ARE beautiful things.....

CU
WaltOn
Sat,