Subject: Re: [Leica] Chalk and Charcoal in HC110
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:28:09 -0500

Mark-
I have heard of the Dignan book but I don't have it- yet! Sounds like a good
reference. Thanks for the tip- I'll check the PF website and see if I can
get a copy.
I am completely self taught, and had read the cover off of C.B. Neblettes
book. It had been given to me by an ex-brother-in-law who had it at
UNC-Chapel Hill for a textbook in a course he took. Great book, and I've yet
to find anything close for explaining the chemistry and physics behind the
photographic process. I sure wish it wasn't out of print!.
Sounds interesting, and I might like to try this formula out- I started
mixing my own when I got a beam balance and found a slew of formulas in my
father's old Physics and Chemistry Handbook from 1947!... back in 1967!
Like you I always graduated back to Rodinal- usually 1/25 or 1/50 and unlike
you I always seemed to gravitate back to D-76, replenished, as well.
And I of course used Diafine in the summers before air conditioning! I never
was so much concerned with grain as I was with composition. I knew I
couldn't match Adam's work with a 35 or 6x6, so I never really tried,
although I saw some stuff done in the 80's by a friend who used Tech-Pan and
I think Ethol TEC to get some pretty incredible 24x32 prints... They DID
look like they were taken with a view camera, but it was with a Leica and 35
Summicron!
dwpost@msn.com