Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M6 HM
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 08:01:42 +0100

Dan,

I am not a collector, but my understanding is that 3000+ are too many to be a
real collector's piece. Perhaps Lucien can give us some insight here.

Out of curiousity, I checked production figures for some of the collectibles in
the Leica Pocket Book. Some examples:

Olive M3: 144
Black M3: 3010
Chrome MP: 311
Black MP: 138
M6 Platinum: 1250
M6J: 1640
various private editions of M6 (LHSA, RPS etc.): 100-200 each

The black M3 sells for obscene prices despite the 3000 made, but I believe that
is true only if it is in really good condition. The M6J is expensive, but I do
not know how much it has appreciated--I believe it was expensive right from the
outset. All the other ones are numbered in hundreds. I suppose you could buy a
classic M6HM, put it away for 20 years and see what it will bring, but I think
you'll do better in the stock market. I did buy one recently for $1800, but it
is to shoot it, not for investment, though I do expect it to hold its value
should I ever need to sell it. But that is true for much Leica gear.

If you want real exclusivity, go for the new Jaguar special edition--only 50
made. One is currently advertised by Fieldgrass & Gale in London, but their
modesty prevents them from putting the price in the advertisement ;-)

Nathan

D Khong wrote:

> Nathan
>
> Under what number would make it qualify for one?
>
> Dan K.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium