Subject: Re: [Leica] Chalk and Charcoal in HC110
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 16:16:20 -0700

Walter S Delesandri wrote:

> I know that Rodinal is valued for its "sharpness" -- I agree.....
> the 6x9" prints I make from Pan-F are breathtaking....the
> 8x12" prints are similar if you don't look too close....but
> I don't push it to 12x18" ( my third standard print size).
> But even fullframe prints on 11x14 paper look like hell from
> 400 speed films in Rodinal.....to me.
>
> Tri-X/HP5 in Microdol have given me the best "high-speed" results.
> (ISO 250-300)
>
> snip
> Walt

I've occasionally not liked my 35mmpanf/rodinal1/50@10Xmagnifacation results.
But I have had luck with it and also on 15x and 18x mag.
My panatomic which Erwin says is being reincarnated by Fuji was mistaken
for sheetfilm by an expert at 10x.

Any faster films certainly give you a grain "effect" and any reasonable
mag for a reasonable viewing distance (10x). And many people who aren't
usually fond of looking at grain don't mind the grain gotten from
rodinal as to the fact that it just looks good and brings out detail you
never thought your glass could get. I used to say it made Nikon glass
look like Leica glass but that was a long time ago and should take it
back for now quickly before...
Much of this I'm thinking you don't necessarily disagree with.
I would assume
>"11x14 paper look like hell from
> 400 speed films in Rodinal.....to me."
you're talking about 1/50 or higher dilution's as you might agree that
at 1/25 it looks enough like standard developers to be indistinguishable
from them.
It would appear you're not a fan of grain.
Your Microdal with slightly reduced speed would be at 1/3 which would be
how I would use it...for brownish negs that print snappier than they
look; but whose grain and sharpness I'm not fond of but have heard of
people of note who use it.
For me if a film/developer combination is only usable at small mags I
would not keep track of it.