Subject: Re: [Leica] Silver Oxide Batteries (wasLeicaflex SL)
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:26:37 +0000

M Swiek wrote:
<snip>

>A final note, while the meter in the SL is very accurate, it takes the
>discontinued mercury batteries.  I have found a ready supply of these
>batteries in Europe in the past.  Leica in New Jersey says they can
>recalibrate the meter to take newer silver-oxide batteries.  I have used the
>silver oxide batteries in two of my camereas without having them recalbrated
>and the resulkts have been fine.

That's a very interesting point. I've now got enough mercury batteries
residing in the 'fridge to last for a good few years powering my SLs and
N***** Fs.

But can some electrical guru out there tell us what is the likely effect on
metering of a battery which delivers only 11% more voltage (i.e. 1.5v
against 1.35). Most new batteries seem to deliver slightly over spec.
anyway.

Is the effect to indicate slightly less exposure or slightly more?

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists