Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 M lenses
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 21:28:37 EST

drodgers@nextlink.net writes:

<< While I'm sure they are superb, I'd
 rather spend the money on an R tele. >>

The interesting thing is that the 90mm. Elmarit for the M commands high prices
while, comparatively speaking the R version is a bargain. I have used the 90 R
lens since it first came out. I have had three of them over the years. The
F2.8 R lenses produce very high resolution negatives and are great bargains
compared to M lenses.

I guess many Leica users are only M users and, thus, are unaware of the very
high performance available at low prices with the R series. Good, serviceable
R3's or R4's with a couple of 2.8 lenses can be bought at a fraction of the
cost of an M system.

I use my M lenses (35,1.4; 50,1.0; 50,2.0; 90,2.0; and both 135's) for low
light applications, primarily, and/or for a small travel package - usually
just the 35,1.4. I use my R system for portraits, landscapes and critical
tripod work. The M is almost always hand-held and thus ultimate resolution is
not a requirement - high performance wide- open is, however, and the primamry
reason I own a Leica M and fast lenses. Of course, the M is a very seductive
camera to use (so I have both), but the image performance of the R system is
pretty awesome as well.

Bob Figlio