Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Chemistry Questions The ultimate advice in processing
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:47:10 -0700

Bryant,
I know I responded to your question, but I can't resist adding an additional
bit of advice. This advice is very good, but too often ignored. Select a
good film/developer combination, and stay with it for a while. Ignore people
that tell you to try all sorts of odd combinations. Do some tests based on
the kind of work that you do, and keep work samples and good records for
future reference. Lot's of good photographers used simple combinations like
Plus-X or Tri-X and D-76 1/1 for years with good results. Many images are
ruined by screwing up while trying the latest or most esoteric developers.
If you stick to a simple combination you achieve a high level of
consistency, and consistency is your best friend in processing.
While rambling, I would like to risk flak by saying that many film
processors are always seeking the finest possible grain. Slow films and
fine-grain developers. However, I don't mind a certain amount of grain. If
the image has a lot of detail, grain is less evident. When there is a lot of
detail in an image, acutance becomes more important (I believe) than grain,
lot's more important. Also, slow films can be contrasty, and the result can
be unwelcome. And, unless you have lot's of light, or can use a tripond and
long exposure, depth of field, or worse, camera motion can be a problem. I
always get more photos I like--and that print well--with 100 film than with
25 film.
I could go on and on, but be above should produce an adequate and
satisfactory response. I will sit back and await replies from those who will
probably disagree.
Happy 1999 to all,
Joe Stephenson
++++++++
Bryant wrote:
[cut]
Any other advice (careful, I've secretly been listening and I will consider
the source) may be appreciated.
Kind regards,
Bryant