Subject: RE: [Leica] CLA - Incredible Leicas -50 below!
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:35:28 -0800

Tim Atherton wrote:

>I have never quite hit -50c, but I once tried to use my M6 at -48c during my
>sojourn in Tuktoyaktuk.  I think the body might have kept going, but the
>lenses froze up solid. Literally, the grease thickened up so much you would
>have needed a pipe wrench to focus. In fact, it would happen at -40c (which
>I guess is also -40f), but not quite as quickly.

Hi Tim,

Whenever I work in the arctic my cameras are not out from under my oversize
parka long enough to freeze-up. At least that's always the plan. :) The
secret of keeping them running, lenses also, is how you carry them and you
dress.

I have an extra large parka, bought specifically for carrying cameras
inside, it has heavy duty velcro tape down the front, as well as the usual
zipper and toggle buttons. I hang the cameras from my neck & wear a soft
down vest between me and cameras. The vest helps keep the cold at bay each
time I quickly tear the velcro apart, out pops the camera, I shoot as many
and as quickly as I can and then camera back inside.

I've seen photographers shooting in the arctic with their cameras (non
Leica) hanging from their shoulders just as though they were in California
and in short time they're bitching about the "crappy batteries" and
equipment. And at 40 below it's "real short time!" :)

Me?  Mine are in and out constantly and always functioning, besides I don't
have to worry about autofocus lenses and motors powering down.

>Mind you, it wasn't long after the lens froze up that I didn't have anything
>functioning either! >>>>>>>

Yep and that happens no matter how well dressed you are, the cold
eventually works it's way through to the bones and bladder! Then you have
to get inside real quick as you don't want to stand there and "p" only to
find yourself frozen to the ground until spring or it breaks off, whichever
comes first! :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant