Subject: Re: [Leica] Intimacy with long lenses....now still vs motion
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 10:49:53 -0700

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE2361.A6F00420

"B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
>Still photos can have unparalleled emotional and visual impact - far=20
>greater than that of film because they are in front of us longer and
>can be observed and contemplated longer.

Sorry, I can't agree with that. There are certainly cases where we
have stills and video of the same event (flag raising @ Iwo, execution
in the street in Viet Nam) where the stills are more powerful. But=20
I don't think we can generalize in this way. Akira Kurosawa's film
_Ran_ has emotional and visual impact on par with any still photography
that I can think of, and there are other examples as well. No still
picture can capture the intensity of the final downhill ski run that
won Franz Klammer his Olympic gold medal, not in the way that the ABC
cameras did...
+++++++++++
Dear Alexey,
I agree that some images or scenes--like a downhill ski run greatly =
benefit from showing the motion and speed. However, "Ran" was long and =
boring. About halfway through I felt that I would vomit if I saw one =
more arrow strike one more breast. It got boring. I did have emotional =
impact--I don't think any photo could have bored me so much, or for so =
long. Sometimes showing the motion helps, sometimes motion obscures  the =
impact and design of an image. Just depends. I don't see how one is =
"right" or "best," and the other is "wrong" or "not so good."
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE2361.A6F00420

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&quot;B. D. Colen&quot; &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:BDColen@earthlink.net">BDColen@earthlink.net</A>&gt;<BR>&g=
t;Still=20
photos can have unparalleled emotional and visual impact - far =
<BR>&gt;greater=20
than that of film because they are in front of us longer and<BR>&gt;can =
be=20
observed and contemplated longer.<BR><BR>Sorry, I can't agree with that. =
There=20
are certainly cases where we<BR>have stills and video of the same event =
(flag=20
raising @ Iwo, execution<BR>in the street in Viet Nam) where the stills =
are more=20
powerful. But <BR>I don't think we can generalize in this way. Akira =
Kurosawa's=20
film<BR>_Ran_ has emotional and visual impact on par with any still=20
photography<BR>that I can think of, and there are other examples as =
well. No=20
still<BR>picture can capture the intensity of the final downhill ski run =

that<BR>won Franz Klammer his Olympic gold medal, not in the way that =
the=20
ABC<BR>cameras did...<BR><FONT color=3D#000000=20
face=3D"Bookman Old Style">+++++++++++</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Bookman Old Style"></FONT><FONT=20
face=3D"Bookman Old Style">Dear Alexey,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style"><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT =
size=3D3>I agree=20
that some images or scenes--like a downhill ski run greatly benefit from =
showing=20
the motion and speed. However, &quot;Ran&quot; was long and boring. =
About=20
halfway through I felt that I would vomit if I saw one more arrow strike =
one=20
more breast. It got boring. I did have emotional impact--I don't think =
any photo=20
could have bored me so much, or for so long. Sometimes showing the =
motion helps,=20
sometimes motion obscures&nbsp; the impact and design of an image. Just =
depends.=20
I don't see how one is &quot;right&quot; or &quot;best,&quot; and the =
other is=20
&quot;wrong&quot; or &quot;not so good.&quot;</FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style"><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT=20
size=3D3></FONT></FONT><FONT =
size=3D3></FONT>Sincerely,</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style">Joe Stephenson</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000=20
face=3D"Bookman Old Style"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE2361.A6F00420--