Subject: Re: [Leica] JB, filters, flames, and technique
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:28:58 -0800

>On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 07:27:57 +0100 Alan Ball writes:
>
>>So, stuck beteween the usage of the meaningless "awesome" qualifier by
>>fanatical users, and the contradictions between the various test results
>>from the various labs, we are condemned to make purchasing choices that
>>might not always be the most rational ones. >>>>>>>>

Hi Alan,

In most cases when one is asked about a lens that I have worked with over
the years or done tests for Leica, I give advice not because I'm a
"fanatic" but simply because IMHO that's what happens when I use the lens.

What I see here so often is folks asking for advice about a lens then get
umpteen dozen responses from various users who may or may not have any more
experience than how many lines per mm instead of real time use in shooting
under many different conditions and light.

I'm sure you are well aware that I'm a champion of the Noctilux.....but
only if you are going to use it wide open or nearly so. Quite frankly I
think anyone buying a Noctilux and then consistantly stopping down a half
dozen stops is a fool for wasting their money when they can damn near buy
two slower lenses for the price of the Nocti.

Long before the LUG was invented and online thingies like this, I never had
anyone to ask about lenses as we see regularly here.  My criteria for
buying a lens was very simple....."How fast is it?" As that was all that
counted and I knew if it was Leitz it was going to be great.

I'm sure I made mistakes with this formula and may well have faired better
with the wonderful technical informatation supplied by Erwin through his
fine tests and diagnosis of today.

My usual advice on lens purchase is...."what do you want to shoot? Where do
you want to shoot, indoor or outdoor? Under what light conditions do you
expect to do the majority of your photography?"  Once a photographer
answers those questions they can almost make their own decision what to
buy.

Lenses are like women in the eye of the beholder, some ar "gorgeous and
some are dogs!" And for the ladies on the LUG please insert "Men" where
appropriate! :)

ted