Subject: [Leica] Re: Light Leaks (still)
From: Louis DiBacco <louis.dibacco@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:44:56 -0500

Mike Dembinski wrote:

> My M6 also demonstrates inconsistant overexposure at the top of the image,
> which until now I have been ascribing to lens flare, filter flare - anything
> but light leak. It happens to about four-five frames in 36, and for the life
> of me I can't work out what it is. It does not affect the sprocket holes,
> but a vaguely sausage-shaped area near the top of the image, where the neg
> is more densely exposed.
>
> Are we talking similar symptoms, or is this some other fault?

Mike:

The "exposure" happens outside the image area. I checked my negatives
over the past few years, and yes, the flare is there. Last night I
loaded my M6 with a fresh roll of Tri-X, ran through the whole roll
trying to hold the camera up to a bright light, and there was no flare.
Maybe it has something to do with loading the camera in the daylight,
the film, I don't know. I processed a roll just taken out of my R6 and
it was there also?????????????????????

I load the developing reels in total darkness, so who knows. I'll keep
testing.

Louis