Subject: [Leica] [Leics] dedicated followers of fashion?
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 20:20:40 +0100

One of the perennial threads in the Lug discourse is the need to seek
guidance in matters Leica. I made a short sidestep to the Kodachrome list
and noted that one of the reasons to use this product is a reference to
National Geographic as one of the big users (or was one of the big users).
On the Lug a similar trend is recognizable: someone describes, promotes or
pushes a lens, a developer, a film, a body or some technique (filters yes
or no) and refers to some famous photographer or to him/herself and we
immediately note a pro and contra movement of ever widening circles.

I am unhappy with this phenomenon. I believe that photography is a craft
and and art (in this order) that must be mastered. I also believe that
inspiration from masters is a fine gift (I am a Zen follower myself). But
Zen teaches also the responsability  of any individual to make choices by
heart and by reasoning (if there is a difference).

The Lug is a vast collection of informed and dedicated individuals who
sometimes generate some noise about topics of relative unimportance (some
restraint would be welcome) and I truly hope that the information so
generously presented is a starting point for anyone's individual quest and
not a prescription to Leica happiness.

It was Oddmund who with perseverence challenged the collective wisdom and
established authorities on the Lug (he also attacked me and I got annoyed
and hurt of course but still admired him for stating his beliefs as
forcefully as he did).

It is true that Leica products are expensive and its manifold incarnations
often difficult to distinguish. It is also true that the road to perfection
is not an easy one. There is however no easy or simple answer.
Astia film is as useful as E100SW or Kodachrome or Delta100  when loaded in
a R5, or R8, M4 or M3 or M6 or IIIc and exposed through a Tri-Elmar or a
Apo-Summicron ASPH or a Summaron 35 or Apo-Elamit-R 4/280.
Let us not forget that the joy of Leica photography does not depend on a
single film or a certain lens.
It is  the joy of using fine instruments to record ones inner feelings and
expressions that started the Barnack/Berek revolution.

Bottom line we Leica users are still direct descendants of this approach to
photography. I am technically inclined and a perfectionist at that. But my
finest moment still arrives when the picture emerging from the developer or
the Kodachrome lab strikes a chord in my heart. That is independent from
the lens or film used.

What matters after all is only this: we make our choices to use whatever
collection of Leica equipment and ancillary tools (films etc) and we do so
informed by others but ultimately we are making our own choices and should
be brave enough to defend whatever that choice is.

Erwin