Subject: Re: [Leica] Light leaks in many ways
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:57:03 +0100

Louis DiBacco wrote:

> Hi, I am new to the group and I have a problem I am trying to figure
> out. I think my camera has a light leak. It's an M6 (bought new in 1990)
> and after I process my b&w film I have noticed black, exposed areas on
> my negatives, along the top edge of the film, usually continuing only up
> to the 5th or 6th frame, around the sprocket holes. The pattern of
> exposure is not consistent from roll to roll. When looking at the
> negatives, it's always at the top when the image is right side up. That
> would mean that light is possibly coming in at the bottom of the camera
> because the image is exposed upside down. Right?
>
> Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions on how I can prove
> or not prove my M6 leaks before I send it away (gasp!!!) for repair?

My M6 also demonstrates inconsistant overexposure at the top of the image,
which until now I have been ascribing to lens flare, filter flare - anything
but light leak. It happens to about four-five frames in 36, and for the life
of me I can't work out what it is. It does not affect the sprocket holes,
but a vaguely sausage-shaped area near the top of the image, where the neg
is more densely exposed.

Are we talking similar symptoms, or is this some other fault?

Mike