Subject: Re: [Leica] R4 production numbers
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:59:45 -0500

Aina-
I was posed the same question by Bob Bedwell this morning. We discussed the
R4 he had gotten for his niece over a delightful breakfast, and the serial
number was in the 1530000 range. I echoed the very common sense thought I
was given that if the problem had not showed up by now, it probably was not
going to. After 16 years, if the fault has not either made itself evident or
been fixed, then that particular R4 is probably not going to show any
problems now. I had both an R3 and a couple of R4 cameras, and while I am
not a pro running several rolls a day through my equipment, I don't let it
sit on the shelf. I never had any problems. I would assume that the only
problem a camera that age will exhibit is deteriorating foam- as Bob's
niece's camera had done. A simple problem to fix. I say this despite having
the winding head replaced on my M3- after all it took 45 years for the
problem to show up+ACE-
Dan
dwpost+AEA-msn.com