Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Archive search engine
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 0:37 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Tim Atherton writes:

> We should all be aware that anything we say on this or any other list is
> public and may be recorded on some data base somewhere forever.
>
> Some employers are now known to check out current and prospective
> employees
> on Deja news etc. to see what their opinions may be one many different
> topics. If you have ever posted to a newsgroup - nice or naughty - it is
> probably on there.
>
> If you ever find yourself "in the news", there is a good chance a
> journalist
> may check to see what you have said in the past on the internet.

This is why some people include the header "x-no-archive: yes" in their
usenet postings. It instructs systems like dejanews *not* to archive the
message.

There are almost certainly archiving systems out there which don't honour
it, but dejanews *does*. Of course it perfectly possible for an agency to
set up their own archiving system and deliberately ignore it (and it's
pretty obvious what kind of agencies would choose to do this).

(catching up, with just 797 unread messages in his LUG mailbox)

David Morton                       |  "Times are bad. Children no
dmorton@journalist.co.uk           |  longer obey their parents and
David.Morton@openconsulting.co.uk  |  everyone is writing a book."
(+44) 171 917 6272                 |  Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)