Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 and water world
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:53:39 -0600 (CST)

Too many variables.  With a tight lens (they vary) and one of
ol' Tom's $10 release buttons, you MIGHT get very little
water in there.  (I don't REALLY mean a whole minute --
that's a long time)  If you REALLY got it full of water,
I'd want to partially disassemble the camera, remove RFDR,
body shell, film advance stack, everything down to the shutter
(body).  As for whether the camera would "work", if you dried
it out thouroughly, it'd most assuredly "work".  Probably even
the meter.  BUT  -- I'd be concerned about future ramifications
more than immediate damage.  I did an M-2 years ago that had
been dunked, and with fairly complete disassembly, drying , and
flushing critical areas with WD-40 diluted with more kerosene,
(ALL OPTICS removed, of course)  Dried with gentle heat for
a couple of days, cleaned RFDR, reassembled, adjusted, and the
outcome was FAR better than I expected.  Two or three years later
the owner said no problems, worked better than ever. (it probably
needed service BEFORE it was dunked)

Never done an M-6, tho.  Have only disassembled one, for frameline
problem.  'bout the quality of M4-2 i.e., it AIN't no 1965 M-3.  But
I really want one for the meter.  Got the M4 (good) and M4-p(tolerable).

I still don't like the idea of soaking cameras, tho these fare better
than average.  I know we all hear the stories of how the M-4 was
dunked in the ocean, shot with a rifle, covered with nuclear waste,
and crapped on by an elephant, to then go on and win a Pulitzer, but
these tales grow taller by the day.  They ain't THAT good......

A little rain, no problem.  Downpour, put it under your coat.  If
you fall in the ocean, check your insurance and then throw it as
far as you can..........

Good shooting, Francesco and the bunch,
Walt

On