Subject: [Leica] 19mm and more
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:25:15 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:

>>19mm?   Now you're talking R, not M lenses........
>
>Pardon me, sir?  Have you never heard of the rather epic Canon RF lens of
>that specification?  Do you know the name Bob Shell? or Peter Dechert?
>Mind you, it's a lens I'm not thrilled with, but, still, it IS a lens for
>the Leica, and those who use it argue that it works.  I disagree, but as my
>father keeps lecturing me, I'm a contrary cuss.  That's okay:  the women in
>my life simply call the cops.
>
>You amateurs DO occasionally rile me, a trifle.

I checked a Shutterbug issue I had lying around, and indeed, Bob Shell is 19mm.

BTW, an interesting form of trivial pursuit is to mention a focal length in
mm, and then try to list various lenses that have had that length. IE,
18mm: Pentax fisheye, Zeiss Distagons, Nikkors of various types, etc; 43mm:
Petri P&S, Zeiss Biogon for 6x7, Mamiya 7 etc.  Doing this in public will
draw odd glances, but doing it in front of your spouse will only confirm
his/her fears.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com