Subject: Re: [Leica] SOFTLY RELEASE YOURSELF
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 07:59:10 -0600 (CST)

Of course, the $39.95 was a jab....and yes, the "half" price retail
was a mistake..... I the last new M-winder I saw was about $450, US --
I have been corrected.

As for your other points, yes, I've held an the rapid winder.  I think
it's a wonderful piece.  I haven't used it.  As for my background in
photography, I won't comment.  References on request, but I doubt
they'll mean anything to the Leica group. (seriously)

HOWEVER< I've not only repaired, but used and owned an SM Leicavit,
a Canon VI-T, and I've overhauled and used but not owned a now rare
MP-and-Leicavit owned by the now late (I think) "hack" Miller -- a
semi-retired journalist in Houston in the early 80s.  In every case,
I preferred the single stroke wind lever (which the MP didn't have,
of course.)  Your results may vary.  On the subject of Houston, if
there are any Houstonian photogs on the group, I did learn Leica
repair from Karl Stumpf ---THE leica shop in Houston where I worked
at the time.  I also went through the poor National Camera training
in the late 70s.  I gave up camera repair for reasons that should be
obvious by looking at the "evolution"? of cameras in the 80s and 90s.

BUT!!!!  While these rapid winders are BEAUTIFULLY built, they're
not complicated.  With the >uninflated< street price of Winder-Ms
(the normal one that was introduced with the M-6) around $4-500,
it is INFINITELY more complicated than an rapid winder.  Of course,
the $39.00 japanese jab was a joke,  It should be possible for an
aftermarket company to build one for $250, street price, in limited
quantities.  No, I haven't tried.  But folks are marketing 3rd party
WINDERS for cheap SLRs for $99.  $250 would still be high, but
manageable and sane for those who LIKE rapid winders.

I don't understand it.  Photographers get together in the lab or in
a bar and argue and poke and bitch and everyone gains from it.
These reflectors are amazing.  It's almost like a small town
paper where you can't criticize the advertisers because they're
the publisher's brother-in-law AND on the city council.  Leicas
have FAULTS.  They have areas of VERY poor design, and the final
assembly, adjustment, and 'infant' mortality of them is among the
worst in the industry.  But they're the only game in town (I'm talking
M-s of course, the ONLY reason to own Leica)  If there was a REAL
competitor, they'd have to get it together AND lower the damn price.
As would the aftermarket accessories.  They've had their butts kicked
in the market already.

Final heresy:
The 'BEST' camera ever built was the late 60s Nikon F. Period.
The best-built lenses were the same vintage Nikkors. period.
The SP was decent, on a par with the slightly funky pre-7 Canon
bodies.  I'm talking about durability, adjustment, etc.  Hell,
Leica even removed the eccentric adjustment on the damn RFDR
vertical, and then shipped the cameras slightly out of adjustment,
requiring a tremendous amount of labor to correct!  Oh, they're
close enough, but is that Leica's attitude?

Yes, it's a love affair with Leica.  I share in some of it.  I'd
keep my Leica Ms, warts and all.  But I'd JUMP on a reasonable
competitor for day in, day out photography.  And I believe that
the aftermarket manufacturers are pricing their gear at the top
of "what people will pay".  Look at the Adorama lenses (no, I don't
use them).  What is their margin on those VS other 3rd party
lenses for SLRs?  They KNOW that with a 21 elmarit at $1800 street
price, that people "will pay" three times as much as they will for
a Nikon mount aftermarket.

As for my background and opinions, it's like I told a self-proclaimed
liberal professor friend -- he believes in ABSOLUTE freedom of
speech -- so long as you agree with him!  Otherwise, suffer the
wrath.....

Will, where are you when I need you?

WaltOn