Subject: Re: [Leica] SOFTLY RELEASE YOURSELF
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 22:34:38 -0800

Nigel wrote:

> [...]

Nigel,

That happens because Canon pay an incredible amount of money for the
privilege of being the "Official Camera" for the Olympics, Commonwealth and
Pan American Games and to reap the advertising benefits of same! Not just
because they are jolly good chaps wishing to look after their camera
buyers.

Actually even when Canon is the official camera of the Olympics and their
name and cameras are all over the place, both Leica and Nikon have
servicing and loaner equipment right around the corner from the Main Press
Centre.

Actually in Barcelona Spain at the 92 Summer Olympics Canon and Nikon
worked in booths right beside each other! I guess you just haven't looked
hard enough during the past ten years. :)

Leica on the other hand notify every pro using sports photographer exactly
where they will be set-up including the names of the servicing crew who
will be attending. As well as what types of extra gear they will have on
hand for use.

Just because their name isn't flaunted all over the place doesn't mean
they're not in attendance. The Leica Service Centre at the Olympics, winter
and summer, I've worked all of them since 1968 until Barcelona '92, have
had excellent people looking after pro shooters using Leica. Sure there
aren't the same numbers as Canon, but those pros working their Leicas do so
just as hard as the Canon or Nikon carriers. And they are as equally or
better treated than those who use the other equipment.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant