Subject: Re: [Leica] Fill-in flash
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 09:17:38 -0800

Gerry Walden wrote:

> Bob Maxey writes "I guarantee you can't tell he has used
> the fill" - if you can't see the difference then isn't he wasting his time?
Gerry,

Better to realize that if it is "fill" flash done right only the trained
eye might detect it knowing that the situation would normally far more
contrasty.  Think subtle, think slightly more detail in shadows, think
slightly more crispness (or slightly less flatness) to the light.  Most
cameras at zero compensation are too hot.  I don't know why they are
calibrated that way, but they are.  I mostly use serious fill at minus
1.5 or so, but often use minus 2 or 3 stops.  Never full fill.  Also
remember that if you have a scene already lit, you are adding to that,
so if you flash at "normal" which assumes that the strobe supplies all
the light, then add ambient, you are overexposed.  I often do corporate
work where I am using 3 to five heads but still balancing to available
light, just using the strobes to add character (mostly from side and
back light) and to accent areas (so I can underexpose others less
important).  It is a delicate, artistic endeavor to get it right, so
things look natural, but enhanced.  If you see polaroids from before and
after, you will realize I am not wasting my time.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego