Subject: Re: [Leica] Pros and Leica sales! was vanc.
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 10:10:26 -0600 (CST)

Factory defects aside (yes, they have those with final adjustment
and occasional curtain bar failures)  I'd say you hit the nail on the
head!! the M problems I saw in the repair shop were generally:
Lack of use (coagulated lubricants, surface corrosion on the pallet
wheel in the s-s geartrain/self timer, "dry" curtain drum shafts, etc)
Frame line problems (sticky, etc. --probably same causes)

Water/humidity -- PLEASE don't subject them to this.

Rewind shaft/assy -  user abuse

Flash sync/curtain brake problems -- usually related in that order

The biggy-- also in cost-- Impact damage to RFDR prism

In summary, on my own M-s (10-12 over the years)  I'd say that
after the 'initial' CLA (stored, older bodies)  with consistent
use or at least exercise, I've NEVER had to open one!!  Owned a
couple for 18 years or so, same result.  My wife has 2-M2s (she
hates later bodies), same stories -- only one repair, flash sync/
first curtain brake sluggish on one of them.  You can see it coming
on -- the curtain bar won't quite clear the film gate at slower speeds-
easy, but not necessarily cheap clean/adj/repair.

So use 'em.  Don't drop 'em. Don't get 'em soaked.  They won't
let you down after the initial quirks are solved (new or used)

CU later,
WaltOn