Subject: [Leica] Treating pros with respect - camera shop.
From: "James Burris" <jabu@direct.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:34:35 -0800

Hi,

I too was at the infamous Leica camera day in Vancouver, B.C.  In his
defense, the Leica rep - whom I've met before - appeared tired and was
certainly not in his best mood.  What I know of the man is that he has a
real passion for spreading the word of Leica.  I would not question the fact
that he likes (possibly prefers) to talk to people who are new to Leica as
opposed to talking shop with seasoned pros - which I'm sure he does a lot of
the rest of the year.  This particular camera presentation was geared
towards enthusiasts which of course includes those who are new to Leica as
much as those who live and breath Leica like many of the rest of us.  As I
mentioned earlier, I've had the pleasure to meet him before and he really is
a very nice person.

On another note, the camera shop that hosted the Leica event - Leo's Camera
supply, is an excellent store full of extremely knowledgeable staff.  Being
a Leica user on a budget, I have had to use much more of their time than I
think it worth to them as I plan my Leica lens decisions.  Not once has any
member of the staff complained.  They are truly first rate.

Just before the Leica "day" one of the salespeople informed me that a local
professional had "upgraded" his/her R system from R7s to R8s and ROM lenses.
Basically the pro traded in all of his/her lenses and bodies for the same in
R8s and ROM lenses.  In the end, the salesperson wouldn't tell me how much
this person spent - not that I asked, but knowing the value of the equipment
in question this person had to have cut a cheque for $50,000+.  I can safely
say that is probably more than I'll spend on equipment in my lifetime.  So
here's to the professionals out there!  Thanks for keeping my favorite
camera store in business and supplying me with somewhat economical lenses to
purchase.

Just some thoughts,

James Burris

P.S.   Thanks for taking the time Ted.  I'm really looking forward to that
sports photography book!  - in softcover of course!  :)