Subject: Re: [Leica] Early Summitar
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 22:09:25 -0600 (CST)

You got it, Dan, and Yes, I heard about the ammonia fumes!!!  the trick
was to put the film on stainless reels in a four reel tank, but only
on the TOP two reels, then put 8 oz of ammonia in the bottom, using the
empty reels to keep the film out of the ammonia!  Put it in the cupboard
for a couple days, and it was supposed to move the toe up a stop or
so...an old hand from Greenville, Miss. told me that one (Nell Blakely)
- --one of my favorite people, but boy did she have some screwy ideas.
We didn't try it, deciding to drink gin instead, but sounded like a
good idea!!!

Another story:  I am now thrilled to say that I got to shoot from the
first batch of T-Max 3200.  My employer got some samples, no label ,
plain unprinted yellow box, black cassette!!  Kodak simply said
try it -- when we asked what it was, they said "DAMN FAST" -- that's
all.  Still have a bar picture in my office from that batch!! (circa
'87??)  Lots of fun, those days.
Yeah, we use .10 still for threshold on B&W at school, but on
color neg and trans we use gray card densities -- can't remember them
offhand -- maybe .85 on neg (red status M filter) and maybe 1.0 or so
on trans (no/visual filter).  Been a while.........mind's the second
thing to go.......
Thanks for the post, best to U and URS<
Walt