Subject: RE: [Leica] M6TTL + Vancouver Leica Day
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:36:33 -0700

It was a great pleasure to meet Ted at the Leica day at Leo's in Vancouver.
I don't know how he got away with being behind the counter when he had both
an Abrahams rapid winder AND a softie on his Leica. I am sure the "official"
Leica folks frowned on that!

Talking of which, I must say that I was disappointed by the Leica Rep. Yes,
it was nice to get a look at some of the new goodies, but I found the rep
particularly unhelpful (you were there for two days Ted, how did you find
him?). They didn't even have a battery in the M6ttl when I was looking at
it, so no point in trying out the new metering etc! It was quite a problem
to get him to put one in.

He seemed quite happy to spend copious amounts of time with anyone who
appeared to be a doctor or a dentist and had oodles of $ to spend on new
Leica goodies (Yes, I know, my prejudices are showing here!), then I watched
him blow off at least two younger photographers/students, one of whom had a
whole stash of Leicas in an old gas mask case - to me, they actually looked
like they used their cameras as opposed to....?

Anyway, I just found the Rep pretty unhelpful (as opposed to the technician
who was there - he did a great job of checking out cameras with a witty line
in Scottish repartee added in).

All in all, it was worth the trip (I was in Vancouver on vacation). And if
you get a chance to look at  Ted's book about doctor/OR's etc (I can't
remember the title now), don't give it a miss. Some wonderful, atmospheric
b&w Leica photography.

Tim A