Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V4 #48
From: Dick Chandler <rchandler@hainc.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:51:34 -0700

James

I recently replaced my RT300 with an Ektapro 9020.

I was waiting to see Leica's projector announcements at Photokina before
deciding what to get.  When I saw that the Pradovit RT-m is functionally
identical to the 9020 (except for some cosmetics and, possibly, the
condensors -- anyone know about the latter?), I decided not to wait for the
new Pradovit and bought the 9020 from Samy's.  I installed my Super
Colorplan in it (this required that I rob the RT300 of its gear-rack
sleeve), and the performance, both mechanical and optical, is superb.  I
have the IR remote for the projector, which allows me to select slides in
random order from the carousel, and it also lets me invoke the fading
feature and vary its duration.  It's also possible to hook it up to a PC
and operate it from a keyboard.

The 9020's autofocus is very fast, very accurate, and essentially silent.
My slides are mostly plastic-mounted in the Pakon mounts my processor uses
(although I have fantasies of remounting them in Wess glassless mounts,
which I understand are much better).  The Super Colorplan is, by my
observations, far better than my CF Colorplan with these mounts.  It is
extremely sharp and does great justice to all my M lenses, including the 21
and 35 asphericals.  I use a matte-white screen to avoid the visual
impairments caused by beaded and lenticular screens.

These projectors use separate motors for all mechanical functions --
blower, tray advance, autofocus, slide ejection.  There is even a separate
solenoid for operating the dark slide, or whatever you call the doodad that
keeps the projector from blinding the audience when there's no slide in the
gate.   The brightness on the lowest of the three settings is more than
adequate (the bright-light module is standard on both projectors), and the
highest setting allows daylight projection on my 70x70 screen.

If you're considering replacing your Pradovit, either of these is worth a
serious look.

Best regards.

Dick Chandler