Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic: ER doctors and charges
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:55:06 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

Hello, Ernie

Well, of course my post was in part flame bait!
Actually, I was responding to a post from a journalist about how he
feared the wrath of the MD community from past experiences.  I.E., how
the community was intolerant of ANY criticism.

Certainly, having been involved in Leica (sales and use) and so-called
high-end audio, I have had MANY contacts with the medical community, and
MANY friends from the same.
However, it is NOT a case of a few bad apples.  You sound like a
rational, likable person.  I have a personal PCP who I dearly love, and
we talk photography regularly (he's a newbie)  I have the utmost respect
for his profession, and he has the same for mine>  (I'm a staffer and an adjunct
faculty member in a large university photo program) BTW, my personal physician
made a CLEAR error in my treatment a year ago.  No permanent problem, but
about two weeks of hell.  I wouldn't THINK of suing or even complaining, because
he did what he/we thought was right at the time!!  As a former leica repairman,
I wonder how many MDs would have given me the same consideration  if I made
a mistake?

The waiting time at most physicians' offices is 30min-1hour WITH an appointment.
HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD WAIT 15 minutes to talk to a camera professional, or an
advisor in a college department, without raising hell?  I sense you might, but
what about the nearest 10 peers you can think of?

I have 20 years of photographic background including two degrees and many workshops.
Camera repair alone was a 2-3 year training program, which was a waste in today's
disposable market ("specialty?")  I know AT LEAST as much about vacuum tube vintage
and high end audio as my doctor knows about the body.  (HE would'nt dispute this
claim, most others would)

At least lawyers have a sense of humor about their profession.  THAT was the
original point, that MDs will tolerate NO criticism, humor, or even an occasional
jab about their profession/personal extravagances.  It WASN'T a professional attack.

As for HMOs, I believe that I would have NO medical coverage without the price
controls they enforce.  If the medical profession were allowed complete freedom
of enterprise, they would have priced themselves out of my "market" -- sounds a
bit like Leica/Mcintosh/Audio Research, doesn't it?

If you're doing a good job at a fair price, and are considerate of your fellow (non-MD)
humans, many whom are AS competent as you are, stand up and be proud--I'll salute
you.  Just bear in mind that I don't/won't consider you in the majority.

For the record, MOST camera repairmen are hacks, most university employees in this
field are dumbasses, most auto repairmen are thieves.  When you belong to
a group, people generalize about the GROUP.  If your group has a reputation
as a bunch of arrogant, thieving assholes, you will be wrongly characterized.

Half of my peers are basket cases, shouldn't be doing what they're doing.  When is
the last time you heard a physician NOT defend a dumbass peer?  (I realize that
your consulting job may help clarify some of this, and you have my support and
blessing in the matter)

As for those I have offended, if the shoe DOESN'T fit, THEN DON'T WEAR IT!!!
I wasn't talking to you, anyway!!!  If the shoe fits, look at yourself, don't just
talk about the "nerve" I have--- there's more where this came from!!!

BTW, economic jealousy has NOTHING to do with it -  NO SOUR GRAPES HERE --
If you have 5 times my income, I probably STILL have more expendible income
than you do-- long story......and I've owned more leicas and F-series nikon than
ANY doctor I know, except for one obsessive collector, who needs pills a hell of
a lot more than I do.........
I have a ridiculously low cost of living, due to some choices I made years back,
HALF my income is above my monthly costs....while not much, it's probably still
as much as the over-extended, image conscious "professional" person has to spend
on his toys.  I am VERY grateful to say this, and to work in a field that is also
my major hobby -- I actually PITY my physician, who works 60+ hours a week and
can't afford an m4-2 and a used 50 (AND HE'S NOT LYING, EITHER)  He made different
choices, and now has to work to pay for them.

Enough of this, I had to respond because of the honest and rational feel of
your response.

Walt in Denton -- not the originator of the thread, just fanned the flames and
put a little gas on them!

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:40:14 -0500 Ernest  Nitka <eenitka@axess.net>
wrote:Hello