Subject: [Leica] Tourists using Leicas
From: Fred Zimmerman <fredz@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:08:18 -0600

  I just spent a month traveling around Greece, during which time I saw
several thousand tourists. LUGgers might find my unscientific survey
interesting.
  Point-and-shoot cameras abounded, of course. Among SLRs, Nikons and
Canons seemed about equal in number. I saw a Nikon F Photomic--that
warhorse of the 60s--in Akrotiri. (Do you suppose it had been uncovered in
the ruins there?)
  Leicas, predictably, were scarce, but I was surprised at how scarce. In
Monemvassia, I saw a man with an M6 and an Elmar-M 50/2.8. In Santorini, I
saw a man using an R (probably an R-8), with another R resting on a ledge
beside him. In Heraklion, I saw a man with a Leica screw mount in an
ever-ready case that he snapped shut as soon as he'd taken a picture. In
Olympia, I saw a woman with a Leica point-and-shoot. And that was it.
(Meanwhile, German tourists were everywhere.)
   The brand I saw more of than I would have guessed: Zenit.

Fred