Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #335
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 98 06:14:14 -0700

Howard

@@@@@@@@@
I am going to be in Australia the week after next (Melbourne and Sydney)
and wonder if any down under luggers have any recommendations about camera
shops to visit (looking for used Leica gear) in either Melbourne or Sydney.
@@@@@@@@

Sorry I've been a little slow to reply, but I'm a digest man, and I've
fallen a bit behind on my LUG mail ;-)

Sydney is the most beautiful city in the world, but it is not easy to shop
Sydney. For shopping, Melbourne is much more "compact" and easy to get
around.  I have my favourite camera walk about, which takes in 6 good shops
all in a city block. Now that is shopping. When you arrive in Melbourne, go
to Flinders St Station. All trains lead to Flinders St, and ask directions
to Elizabeth St. Walk up Elizabeth, on the left hand side of the road away
from the station, one two blocks, crossing Bourke St. Next is Little Bourke
St, and there is a "reasonable" shop on the corner here. Turn left up
Little Bourke to Hardware [I think], Camera Lane is on the corner, and
seems to be the biggest seller of new Leica gear. Ask for Carl. He can sell
you gear duty free, and with the strenght of the US dollar, you may yet be
surprized at the prices. More on price later. Leave Camera Lane, and walk
back to Elizabeth, turning left. You will come to Ted's. No don't waste
time downstairs, walk straight in and up the stairs on the left to the
professional section. They have occasional gems, though most are "heavily"
used, Back onto Elizabeth st, and turn left. Almost next door is Phototime,
with expensive second hand gear. Further up Elizabeth, on the next corner
is Michael's. They have a great range of good gear. The best person to talk
to is Fred, but its quite hard to get an audience ;-) Michael's is big, and
a Leica dealer, but usually pretty dear. I've bought some great stuff
there, but always at a price. Back onto Elizabeth, and turn left up
Lonsdale. On the next corner is The camera Exchange, John or Derek will
look after you. The range is a little smaller, but the prices are usually
fair.

As for price, you will find new gear expensive, especially with the 36% tax
we pay :-(, but you can buy duty free. There is currently NO TAX on
second-hand gear. Second hand stuff is expensive if it is current model,
because the new items are so heavily taxed, but as soon as its a bit older
then you can have some great bargains. Rollei TLR are really quite cheap,
and compared with US and Japanese prices, the Leica gear is great as long
as you are buying older equipment.

Its a great way to spend a day, and if you give me time, I may be able to
"show" you around.

As they say at almost all restaurants now "enjoy" ;-)

Alastair Firkin,