Subject: Re: [Leica] Found a sweet M2 (i think?)
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:36:52 -0400

Sounds like a nice outfit to me. I'm a big fan of the M2. I also have the
three lenses you listed and like them all, although the Summarit is a
little soft, especially wide open. A nice DR Summicron would go well with
your outfit. As you probably know, the head of the Elmarit is removable for
use on the Viso with focusing mount. Great for close work. The Viso II is
easier to use than the III, IMHO because the non-instant return mirror
allows the shutter trip arm to travel a shorter distance, therefore more
quickly.

Run a roll of chrome through it to check the shutter. Then enjoy your
classic outfit!

Cheers!

kw

>I'm new to the group but a long term Leica user.
>
>I had a M4-P which went away during a low point in my life some years ago
>(divorce)
>
>I was in a camera store in Santa Fe a few days ago and came across a
>beautiful M-2 with 3 lenses and assorted accessories. I had to have it and
>bought the whole shebang.
>
>I'd appreciate any thoughts -good or bad- you might have.
>
>Body
>
>M2  serial number 1137499   Body was almost like new with no marks or wear
>points showing. It was in a rather well used leather case which obviously
>protected the camera well.  The shutter sounded perfect with the long
>shutter speeds clockwork sounding great. A run of the speeds seemed to be
>just as it should be. The curtains sequenced properly and I could seen
>nothing amiss.
>
>lenses
>
>5cm(50mm) 1.5 Summarit   #1431445
>
>90mm 2.8 Elmarit  #2126781
>
>35mm 2.0 Summicron 1781315
>
>The lenses in appearance matched the body. The diaphragms were slightly
>discolored in the 90. As far as I could see there were no lens scratches at
>all. None of the elements were loose and I could see no flaws looking
>through the lenses. They seemed very clear when holding them up to a light.
>
>Visoflex II and prism   # OTDYM  OTXBO
>
>Largely appearing unused in original boxes
>
>Other
>
>Two boxes with some sort of threaded tubes  one was with a focusing
>mechanism. The boxes had #'s 16471  and   1646416
>
>MR4 meter was working, but haven't checked against my Luna Pro yet
>

>What do you think.
>
>Bob McCarthy

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>