Subject: Re: [Leica] new Asph 90
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:53:50 +0200

Eric Welch wrote:

> The 90 is great for photojournalism, portraiture, sports,
> landscape. To label it a "portrait" lens is to ignore it's vastly
> useful range of applications. Just like about every other lens.

I wasn't labelling it a "portrait lens", I was stating that most people
seemed to report on the 90 Summicron's particular characteristics as
very good for portraiture, and that *that* was what most people appeared
to use this particular lens for.  Obviously a 90mm can be used for a
great many subjects, in addition to which, there is another 90 in the
Leica stable.

> Sharp is good. You can soften a lens, for fuzzy wuzzy portraits that
> are flattering and what old ladies with lots of wrinkles like, with a
> filter.

LOL!  I detest "fuzzy wuzzy" portraits myself. Most soft filters are
far to obvious, and lack subtlety.  I was under the impression that one
of the characteristics of the old 90mm Summi was that it was *not* all
that obvious, just flattering.  Or rather, not even flattering, just
not ruthless in recording with medical exactness the texture and
imperfections in skin.

Never mind.  I've obviously stumbled on some sore points here, so I
shall stay out of this thread.  I didn't mean to start a debate, and
I'm not advocating phobic fears of technological advance.  Just made an
observation.

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just DOHH it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho