Subject: Re: [Leica] plastic or metal tank
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 21:21:29 -0500

At 01:17 PM 9/5/98 -0700, you wrote:

>own film (Its been 25 yrs).  A very basic question:  I am getting
>conflicting advice on metal vs. plastic tanks and reels.  Any
>preferences on the LUG?  I will start with a one roll tank.

The research I saw by Darkroom Techniques magazine was that plastic reels
give a tiny bit more even development. But I hate them. You can't roll film
on them when they're wet (and some day you will want to - have a hair dryer
ready). But I don't think the difference is significant, so I prefer
stainless reels. They take a bit getting used to, but then end up being
much faster loading (after about 10,000 rolls, it's pretty automatic).

>As I use TMAX and the Ilford counterparts, I have pretty much settled
>on Xtol -- seems like a good way to start.  Now the only problem left
>is how to do a digital contact without 36 separate scans:)

Use the contact sheet batch in Photoshop 5.0. If that isn't good enough
(file sizes are a bit small for printing) then write your own action in
Photoshop.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now