Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica - Rollei SL???
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:57:17 -0400

At 01:14 AM 7/15/98 EDT, Will von Dauster wrote:
>The first version of the Rolleiflex SL was made from the dies and tooling of
>the Zeiss Ikon SL706, which were sold to Rollei when Zeiss closed the Icarex
>works around 1972. The cosmetics were changed superficially. I believe the
>50mm lens was a Planar variant.

The first version of the Rolleiflex SL35 came out in 1969;  it is an
all-mechanical camera whose primary lens was the 1.8/50 Planar, though a
JSK lens was also offered.  The second was the SL350 of 1974.  The third
version was the SL35M of '76:  THIS guy is the development of the Zeiss
Ikon SL-706.  The SL35ME, SL35E, SL35EW, and SL35EM followed;  these,
again, were native Rolleiflex designs, though the shutter technology was
aided by information obtained from Zeiss Ikon when Rolleiflex acquired
their 35mm designs in '74.  The SL2000F, similarly, was another Zeiss Ikon
design:  this would have replaced the Contarex had Zeiss Ikon survived.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!