Subject: Re: [Leica] R6.2 Shutter Speed Dial
From: nightblind@juno.com (Don B)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 07:33:40 -0700

Martin,

>> This week, I managed to get my hands on a used mint 50mm and whilst
playing with the camera, discovered that the meter does not linked with
the shutter speed dial.  When adjusting the aperture while pointing the
camera at a particular object, I could determine the correct exposure
with say, F11 and 1/125s speed. Moving the aperture to the left or right
is accompanied  with the change in the meter's indication -- OK. But when
the aperture is maintained at F11 and the shutter speed moved away from
the 1/125s setting, the meter does not change, that is, it still
indicates
the correct exposure although the shutter speed dial has now been moved
off the 1/125s mark.  All these changes in settings were done with the
same subject with no change in lighting brightness. Is my R6.2 body
faulty? Or am I doing something wrong here? If there is something wrong,
the dealer could arrange for a new set to replace this one, but I just
wanted to be sure<<.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with your R6.2.  It is like my
R4sP when it is used in the manual mode.  Changing the shutter speed does
not show up in the viewfinder.  What the meter shows you is the correct
exposure for the aperture you have set.  So as in your example above, at
f/11 it showed 1/125 shutter speed.  In other words, the camera is
telling you that 1/125 is the speed to set for correct exposure with your
aperture at f/11.  Had you moved the aperture to f/8 then the meter would
have shown 1/250.  That then would have been the correct speed for you to
set on the shutter speed dial.

The system is a little awkward at first but you get used to it quickly.
As I am sure you know, the shutter speed set at the dial is show in its
own little window inside the viewfinder.  When you see the speed the
meter recommends, just spin the shutter speed dial until the
corresponding speed shows in the shutter speed window inside the finder
and you'll have set the recommended speed.

Hope this helps.

Best,
 Don

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]