Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Goody Review (long)
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:52:34 -0800

>In your nice post earlier today (relevant portion cut below)
>you described the operation of the Rapid Winder as a
>"sliding" motion rather than a pulling motion.  I have never
>seen one of these goodies in person, but I am interested
>in them.  I always thought that one pulled a lever (that drops
>down from the body of the winder) towards the left hand to
>work the winder.  From your post it seems that one "slides"
>a lever across the bottom of the winder towards one's left
>hand.  Which is right?

The left is right!

Sliding is an accurate description. The lever at the bottom is hinged and
pivots down til it's vertical and locks into position. Pulling on the lever
causes it to slide to the left; the lever remains perpendicular to the
camera bottom. It slides smoothly along for about 2.5 inches (an
approximate recollection) advancing the film as it goes. At the end of it's
motion you release pressure on the lever (I was using my pinky and ring
fingers on my left hand since this felt most natural) the lever springs
back smoothly to the right. By pulling and releasing you can achieve a
rapid film advance without moving your eye from the viewfinder. When you're
done with the rapidwinding you can push a small catch at the top of the
lever and fold it back into the baseplate.

The only concern that I have is that it looks so strange and curious that
it might distract the subject. Of course, you'll probably need it when
things are happening fast and in that case the subject is usually
preoccupied.

Given the quiet and the battery free operation I would prefer it to the
electronic rapid winder if I really wanted one.

- -Charlie