Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 01:22:15 EDT

<< Has any Luggers bought the new Tri-Elmar?  I hear very little of this new
lens
 from the group.  It seems as if there was more excitement about the lens
 before it was released. >>

I purchased one.  It is a great piece of engineering.  I am facinated with it.
The optical quality is quite good.  Mechanically, it does not feel as good as
other Leica current generation lenses.  The focusing ring is particularly
curious.  Instead of the usual Leica system, this lens uses a resiliant
material (that feels rather like a rubbery substance) to produce the desired
damping for the focusing ring.  I suspect this was to save weight and reduce
the size.  It is not a bad feel - just different.  It is a nice, worthwhile
lens.

Tom Shea