Subject: Re: [Leica] Slide mounts -- glass?
From: Dieter Stoll <dstoll@tuebingen.netsurf.de>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:20:24 +0200

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I forgot to mention a couple of things:

>What kind of a projection lens are you using?? Flat field  or curved
>field?? What kind of mounts - plastic or cardboard???
>Dick Hemingway
>Norman, OK
Flat field lens (Super Colorplan 2.5/90) and plastic mounts. These are CS
type mounts. I've converted from regular trays to LKM trays recently.
Anyway I was kind of careless and bought whatever mounts were available.
One batch was particularly awful -- it has a tiny dot of glue or resin or
somesuch on the top and bottom of the frame rectangle. While this is
obviously supposed to keep the film straight it messes things up. I'll
certainly stay away from those in the future.

>Glass mounts have the problem that they enclose the film in an air pocket
>which promotes the growth of fungus.  I have also had problems with
>old slides "sticking" to the glass.
>Richard Urmonas
>urmonas@senet.com.au
Just what I heard, but then it really is only hearsay. No, wait: I can
still recall some live evidence but that is from my early childhood in the
late 50s / early 60s when my dad used to curse about slides in glass mounts
having gone south. When Kodachrome and its factory provided cardboard
mounts hit the German market he converted to those.
On the other hand I have heard people say that these problems (fungus,
sticking) are problems of the past, caused by inadequate treatment in
processing, and that it won't happen any more nowadays. This seems to be
confirmed by George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>:
>I don't know about the fungus problem, never had it happen to me.  I use
>Gepe anti-newton mounts.  I'd be interested to know how much image
>sharpness I am sacrificing because of this.
The ones I tried were Gepe anti-newton too. The glass has a somewhat
grainy, milky look to it, but then in projection I don't seem to notice
much of a difference. I don't think there is much of a sacrifice involved
here.

Dieter Stoll                  D-72127 Kusterdingen, Germany
dstoll@tuebingen.netsurf.de   Home fax: +49-7071-368520