Subject: Re: [Leica] an objective evaluation of leica M lenses
From: "Harold Gess" <gess@icon.co.za>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:01:13 +0200

Greetings

I found these results interesting, however......

With respect, the problem with such tests is that they mean very little when
assessing a lens. For example a Noctilux, designed for low-light receives a
"weak" rating at F1.0, however it works wonderfully at F1.0 under the
conditions for which it is designed.

These tests always remind me of a car magazine which rated the Land Rover
Defender 90 and Porsche Boxter as poor overall. The trouble is the magazine
surveys vehicles using categories such as "boot/trunk space, suitability for
daily commuting, fuel efficiency at various speeds, etc".

Such testing is usually fine when testing fairly standard items against one
another, but means very little in a vacuum and even less when applied to
speciality items designed with a particular purpose in mind.

Thank you

Harold