Subject: Re: [Leica] Street shooting
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:15:52 -0400

Alan Hull wrote:

SNIP

> Good point Carl, but surely the value of those images is mainly historical.
>  Maybe the answer to the problem is a sort of statute of limitations on the
> publication of unreleased photographs.  Say five years,  that way the
> archives are secure for future generations,   A two year limit would secure
> even the book publishers from legal action.
>
> Alan Hull

Alan,

If the cigarette manufacturers in this country can work a deal absolving
themselves from further litigation from a quantifiable harm, maybe
there's a similar approach for the booksellers whose publications do no
harm.

The irony, if I remember my college classic Chinese history, is that one
of the reasons for the downfall of Confucian society is that it became
too top-heavy with rules and regulations; to the point that one could
not act if it was not in accord with a prescribed set of principles.

Was it Santayana who said those who fail to learn from history are
doomed to repeat it?

Carl S.
- --
Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.