Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Glory and Improper Posting
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 02:56:53 -0500

Sorry Joseph,

I have to jump in on this one.  I agree that the posting in question was
improper, offensive, tasteless, and stupid.  However I couldn't agree less
with you about the points you make.  That we can make criticisms of those in
high office, whether tasteless or not, is a very important part of our right
to free speech.  It must be exercised in order to prove that we still have
it.

And as far as ours being a perverted society, that it is.  However it's most
likely not perverted because some of its citizens indulge in pornography,
but precisely because of the attitudes of the great majority of its
citizenry who profess out of one side of their mouths a puritanistic
distaste for and disinterest in anything sexual, and out of the other the
kind of base and lewed view of human sexuality that we see depicted in the
posting.

We would be much better off if we had a healthy, adult understanding of sex
and sexuality such as we see in societies such as France, Italy, and the
Scandinavian countries.  In these countries, you don't see the government
spending millions to investigate what the president or some other high
official did or does with his or someone else's sex organs.  They accept the
fact that their leaders are human beings and that their sexuality is
separate fromt their ability to govern and lead judiciously.  They don't
expect them to be saints.

Bruce S.