Subject: Re: [Leica] Chance from R to Nikon?
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 19:20:20 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: John_McLeod@designlink.com
>God knows Eric and Ted have tried valiently to persuade me not to do this,
but
>I just ordered an F5.  No plans to sell the Leica R equipment though (and
still
>have an M6).  But I need/want autofocus, a better flash system,
autoexposure,
>and the ability to build a complete system without breaking the bank.

I primarily shoot landscapes (and don't need to shoot paparazzo style), and
while I was impressed by what I saw with the F5, this is a big camera
offering small negative size.

I use a Leica M because it's about as small and inconspicuous as I could
find, and it handles well. My technique for using this thing in a rushed
situation is to "shoot first, ask questions later". Amazing what can be done
with a 50mm lens set at f/5.6, when you get to know your depth-of-field
scale well :-)

For TTL viewing, I use a Hasselblad. My (secondhand) 2000FC/M, 50 and 80mm
lens outfit cost somewhat less than a new F5. It is amazing how much of this
stuff can be crammed into an ordinary camera bag: Camera bodies sit
vertically in a lens compartment. I have a 30mm Kiev fisheye lens ($269)
awaiting conversion. Heck of an outfit, and the big image size is a plus.
But I don't use it handheld very often.

I am always looking for ways to gain more photographic capabilities while
owning less hardware: This is useful when packing for a 2-3 week trip means
that your gear, clothing, toiletries--everything--has got to fit in the
airline's overhead compartment without squashing everyone else's stuff.

Jeff