Subject: Re: [Leica] 180 2.8 R-lens - any experiences?
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:39:58 -0800

When you say "new design," do you have a serial number that marks
the change to the new design?  Is it the 2.8 lens pictured in the Leica
catalog that has the altar boy photo in the centerfold?  That is the one
I saw at the store....the one in the catalog.....it is pristine...the glass
looks untouched and there is nary a scratch on the body.

I also have heard that the 3.4 was a specialized lens and that it cannot
focus closely very well.  I personally do not use filters at all, but I agree
with you that the 2.8 is probably a better AP lens.

At 08:37 PM 1/20/98 -0800, you wrote:
>At 05:27 PM 1/21/98 -0800, you wrote:
>>Hello friends.....I am back from a 2.5 week expedition to
>>Hong Kong, Bangkok, and Bali....what a beautiful trip.....
>>tons of photographs to share with you all when I get
>>my website revised.
>>
>>In the meantime......I saw a used MINT 180/2.8 R lens at my
>>local Leica dealer....I meant MINT.....the guy never used this
>>lens.....they want $1300.  Is this a good used price for this lens?
>>How is the performance of this lens compared to the 3.4?
>>I know the 2.0 is the best 180, but which of the remaining 180s
>>takes second place?  Does anyone have this lens, and can anyone
>>offer ratings?
>>
>>Thanks a million....
>>
>>Francesco
>
>I've answered this question many times. I've owned both at the same time.
>Sold the 3.4 and kept the 2.8. Here's my take on the 2.8 & 3.4 lenses.
>
>The 180/3.4 APO, I have read, was designed for the military and was
>formulated for a very specific purpose. Surveillance at a specific
>distance. The lens is excellent for its intended purpose, but in my
>estimation, is *not* an all purpose 180mm lens. It does not like filters
>(degrades sharpness noticeably, which I personally experienced), and it
>does not like focusing closer than its "designed" distance. On the other
>hand, the 180/2.8 new design, is bright, crisp-sharp, will take both 1.4x &
>2x APO extenders, will focus close, loves filters, etc, etc, etc. So *FOR
>ME*, and for good, sharp, Leica photography, with a nice bright ground
>glass view, the 180/2.8 wins hands down. IMHO.
>
>Buy it and don't look back.
>
>Jim

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions