Subject: Re: flare
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 01:15:15 -0800

At 11:26 AM 11/9/97 +1100, Alastair Firkin wrote:
>> Unfortunately, with my M2, because I am not looking through the
>> lens, I never notice flare until I get the film back from the processor.
>> Then it's too late.
>>
>> How do longtime RF users counteract this?  Do you just develop a sixth
>> sense about it?
>
>Are you married? I ask Helen to check the lens for direct sunlight falling
>on the front element, and if it does to shade the lens, hopefully outside
>the visual range of the lens ;-)

I am married, and Marie is supportive about my photography habit, I mean
hobby, but often when I'm doing photography she isn't with me.

So -- how to detect sunlight falling obliquely on the lens of a
rangefinder?  What to do, what to do...?  I know!  I could get one of those
Silley Unendurable Hats some of the guys on the list used to go on about,
and attach a dentist's mirror to the brim, directed so I can see the front
of the lens with my left eye while I look through the finder with my right
eye.  What a brilliant idea!  I'll bet I can make a million dollars on
this... now, where did I put my patent attorney's number?  But -- oh no! --
now I've given my idea away to the LUG!  Hey, you lawyer guys -- does this
constitute a disclosure?

- -Patrick