Subject: Re: shooting one film
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 15:39:39 -0800

At 10:36 AM 11/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Marvin wrote:
>
><<< and we budgeted our film so that we never shot the same picture twice.
>No bracketing - just shoot & move on to the next scene.>>>>>

This is something I do all the time with my Linhof 4x5. I simply take the
time to figure out the composition, and take the time to figure out the
exposure. Usually one sheet per composition. There are those compositions
(scenes) where there is more than one correct exposure. And sometimes the
"correct" exposure is difficult to figure out. When using 35, you find this
out by bracketing. In these situations, with my 4x5, I shoot two identical
sheets of film. Same exposure, composition, filters... same everything.
Then I process only one of the two sheets. After carefully looking at it on
the light table, I can figure out how to process the second sheet. Push,
pull, or normal. It's essentially bracketing via processing. Like a snip
test, but not a snip. If the first sheet processed was right on but just a
mediocre composition, I save time & money and not process the second sheet.

Jim

ps... I have to get Leica in here somehow... "if Leica made 4x5's, it would
be a Linhof."