Subject: RE: 50 SUMICRON R
From: "Repucci, Steven" <SRepucci@analogic.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 16:31:24 -0500

Richard Clompus, OD  wrote

>>>My R8 and lens system doesn't have a lens faster than 2.8 aperture.
I have
zoom lenses,  and the wonderful 60 and 100mm apo macros.  My low light
pictures are taken with the Noctilux and an M6.  But I am beginning to
feel
the pinch for a lens with a maximum aperture greater than 2.8.

Does anyone out there use a 50mm Summicron R lens all that often?  It
would
be the cheapest way to get into a low light lens for the R system.  It
just
seems hard to go back to a 50mm when you can use zooms and other
specialty
lenses but all with a smaller maximum aperture.<<<

Richard,

I was in a similar situation. When I got my R4 back in '84 I got it with
the 50/2 Sunmicron.

It didn't take long before I purchased a 60 macro Elmarit to use as my
"standard" lens and the 50 went into storage.

It seemed like the logical thing to do and for the longest time it was
fine but every now and then the situation called for using a lens
shorter than 60 but longer than 35. This situation began coming up more
and more and the results of the slides I was taking was more than
apparent to my eyes.

With the release of the 100 APO macro I decided "that's the way to
go".:-) So I resolved to trade my 60 and a 90/2.8 ELMARIT for the 100
APO and go back to the 50 as my "standard".

No regrets.:-) I personally like the perspective of the 50 and when used
wide open it seems to me to be one of the lost great LEICA lenses. It 's
just one man's story but it  does have a happy ending.

Steve